Saturday, November 3, 2012

Mark Johnson is a busy guy


Let’s see. . . manage a curling club, coach a competitive team, play for the U.S Olympic spot and be chairman of the Tim Hortons Brier. I wonder what Mark Johnson does in his spare time?

The Edmonton curler and retired police officer has a full slate of duties and activities, as Norm Cowley relates in this profile in theEdmonton Journal.

“I went from a 40-hour-a-week job as a policeman to about a 60 as a manager, and now with the Brier and coaching, it’s probably about an 80-hour-a-week job that I’m working,” Johnson said. “My wife is telling me I need to slow down a bit in retirement.”

Johnson, who is playing for Jason Larway’s Seattle team as it makes a bid for the Olympics, is eligible for the American title by virtue of being born in Walla Walla, Wash. He’ll skip the team in three bonspiels and then play down for the U.S. men’s championship.

“There’s so many people down there who can still dream about the national championship or the Olympics, even though they haven’t been playing the game for very long.”

Ain’t that the truth. 

No comments: