Monday, September 10, 2012

Lawn Bowls On Ice


Here’s a neat story written about curling in New Zealand. The writer seems to have taken a fancy to the Roaring Game. 
Curling is known as "lawn bowls on ice", but I think that description gravely undersells its charm as well as its competitiveness - something that gradually creeps up on me and my teammates, just as the chill seeps into my coat and through my beanie and gloves.
It's always funny for those of us who have played the game for so long to read the first impressions of those who are getting their first try at it, especially those on the other side of the globe. This writer, in fact, admits that the New Zealanders can't hold a candle to one of the world's great curling powers:
Our cousins across the Tasman excel at this sport.
Um, well, ya, sort of I guess. In any respect, it's nice that the sport is getting some ink down there.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd forgotten it was called the Roaring Game. I just curled for the first time a few days ago ... I was surprised by how loud the stones were. It's a really cool sound!

The real upshot - I had a great time and plan to do it again.